February 1st - February 26th
Akita Winter Course – 4 weeksImmerse yourself into the Japanese countryside's culture and language!
Limited spots - apply in advance!Discover
Immerse yourself with the first school in the Japanese countryside – AKITA INAKA SCHOOL!
Study conversational Japanese in the morning and explore the beautiful Akita inaka (countryside) after classes. Many activities together with the locals, teachers, and high school students, which no other school can offer.
The course has been designed to connect culture, language and experience, with a focus on practical conversation and interactions with locals. Mini culture lessons are also included in the curriculum, so you can truly make the most our of your time in Japan.
You will discover the real Japan and things you would never be able to experience in a big city! Hand-made crafts, local specialty food, and the friendly locals will change your life.
Originally a local primary school, the building has been repurposed as a community center. The upstairs classrooms have been untouched, meaning you can immerse yourself like you are in a real-life anime or manga.
Rediscover the simple things in life by immersing yourself in the beautiful nature that surrounds the school, and by gazing at the impeccable stars above.
You will be using your Japanese in day to day life, unlike in the other parts of Japan where English is prevalent.
Since only 1% of tourists visit Northern Japan, it is truly a special experience like no other.
Important update regarding the Covid-19 situation – Read now.
Discover hidden onsens known only for locals!
Welcome dinner with friendly locals
Towada Winter Festival
Tea ceremony in kimono inside samurai house!
Community events with locals
Kamihinokinai baloon festival
Bonfire with local students
Snow Monsters and Mt. Moriyoshi!
Mochi making and BBQ community event!
Farm Stay with locals!
Hiburi Kamakura Festival
Meet Akita Inu dogs!
Snow-mobile fun with locals
Choose your plan
- Towada Winter Festival Held at Lake Towada, highlights include a fireworks show overnight, lots of festival stalls serving food, and a kamakura (igloo) bar!
- Farm Stay with locals! Spend a night with locals in their home, cook together delicious dinner using local ingredients, and improve your Japanese. You will be taken to the local onsen (hot spring) before cooking the dinner, and tasting local sake that is famous in Japan for being one of the best. In the morning, the owner will prepare traditional breakfast using fresh seasonal ingredients.
- Discover hidden onsens known only for locals! You will be taken to the hot springs that only locals know! You will also be able to see all other onsens (some are mixed bath, some are natural in the mountains, some outside with a beautiful view, some historic with over 200 years of tradition).
- Tea ceremony in kimono inside samurai house! Learn about traditional tea ceremony and Japanese manners while wearing a kimono in a traditional Japanese house.
- Hiburi Kamakura Festival The traditional fire festival is an annual ritual in Akita Prefecture, to commemorate the Lunar New Year. It is believed to be around 400 years old. Participants swing around burning charcoal sacks tied to roughly one-meter ropes, as they pray for a huge harvest and good health.
- Mochi making and BBQ community event! Making traditional mochi with local town residents and local high school students! One of the best rated activities winter time.
- Kamihinokinai baloon festival Join the famous flying lantern festival where local prepare big painted balloons to fire ad fly them at night. Food stalls and fireworks during the festival.
- Join activities with local high school students! Meet with locals and local students when participating in various activities organized together.
- Bonfire with local students Join our big bonfire with high school students, and enjoy the night with food and locals! Especially in the winter time with lots of snow around, it is a really magical experience!
- Meet Akita Inu dogs! Meet adorable and famous Akita Inu dogs and play with them together with the local students.
- Calligraphy class Learn from the master calligraphy teacher to write beautiful kanji using washi paper and brushes with ink that Japanese people are using for the art of calligraphy!
- Snow Monsters and Mt. Moriyoshi! Visit snow monsters at Mt. Moriyoshi, take in the amazing views and the ride gondola to the top! Also, enjoy many festivals during winter time in Akita!
- Bento Box making (Magewappa) Have a seasoned artisan teach you how to make your very own wooden magewappa bento box, that is made out of the Japanese cedar tree in Akita.
- Owl cafe Visit local owl cafe located just 5min walk from school.
- Welcome dinner with friendly locals Spend time with the friendly neighbours and high school students, cooking together dinner and tasting sake. You will have the opportunity to practice Japanese, learn about the local culture and make lifelong friends!
- Snow-mobile fun with locals This winter we’ve prepared snow-mobiles to have fun on the school’s grounds together with locals
- "Naked" Festival Participants wear only Fundoshi (cotton thongs) as they run at night to purify themselves in the nearby river. Both girls & guys participate (women wrap their chests with cotton sheets). After run, onsen bath and dinner with locals.
- Activity Transportation
- Language Classes
Booking of this trip is not possibile in this moment, please enter our priority list for upcoming trips.
*Application fee is included in the price.
N.B. Language classes, activities and transportation during activities are included in the price. For the accommodation, check the application form to see the options available.
Flights not included in the price.
What You Need To Know
Study Trip Dates
To February 26th